We invented Altro safety flooring in 1955, creating the original slip
resistant sheet vinyl floor covering. The manufacture and durability of Altro
safety flooring is unique among slip resistant sheet vinyl floors.
How Altro Safety Flooring Works
- Altro safety flooring appears smooth on the surface but provides a high
level of slip resistance when walked on.
- Altro safety flooring is a unique combination of plastic vinyl, aluminum
oxide grains with a glass fiber reinforcement. Some ranges also include quartz
- The safety performance of Altro safety flooring relies on the way in which
the vinyl compresses under load, leaving the abrasive grain protruding above
the surface to provide a reliable grip.
- This is why Altro safety flooring remains slip resistant even when wet. We
also offer a safety flooring for bare foot areas, Altro Marine 20.
- Easyclean Technology has been introduced to the Altro safety flooring
range (with the exception of Altro Marine 20). Adjustments have been made to
the blend of raw materials, resulting in a new lower-maintenance flooring.
This technology is incorporated throughout the manufacturing process, not just
on the flooring surface.
About Altro Safety Flooring
- It is a standard requirement that all seams (horizontal or vertical),
internal and external corners are cut in, grooved and heat welded to provide a
floor surface conforming to the highest standards of safety and hygiene.
- It is important to remember that suitable floor maintenance also plays a
vital part in flooring safety.
- Certain chemicals may cause staining, however. For example, asphalt-type
products or anti-oxidants in certain types of rubber.
Areas to Avoid
Altro floor coverings are NOT normally recommended for use in the following
Altro manufactures floor, wall and ceiling products for commercial,
institutional and industrial applications. We have led the way in slip
resistance with Altro safety flooring.
- Auto showrooms requiring a light covered floor surface. Car tires may
cause anti-oxidant staining. Certain dark colors will mask this effect and
Altro will be pleased to advise on this subject.
- Areas which are likely to be subjected to burning cigarettes or hot
objects which may burn or melt vinyl flooring.
- Areas where power-driven trucks travel at high speed, since friction
caused by the floor’s slip resistant properties can lead to surface damage
from the tire burn.
- Where the presence of sharp objects, such as nails protruding from
packaging cases or pallets, could cause severe physical damage.
- Areas subject to excessive spillages of ketones or other solvents harmful
Commitment to quality and reliability make Altro the top performer in commercial
and industrial safety flooring systems. With increasing concerns about slips and
falls, safety flooring has been brought into a wider variety of public areas
where aesthetics play a significant role. Responding to this new demand, Altro
has developed the Altro Impressionist™ II collection to suit any mood.
Conceived with design trends in mind, the new Altro Impressionist™ II colors
have been categorized into four groups - Relax, Energy, Warm and Cool. This
format allows architects and designers to select with the greatest ease from
cool and warm natural tones to more bold and vivid colors.